Sunday, April 5, 2015

Lipstick Limit, Part 4

I was perfectly content with my purchase of the new Maybelline Color Drama Intense Velvet Lip Pencils ... until I started taking photographs for this post. After I discovered I had dupes for all 3 shades, I decided it was time to give up on lip products. I know, it's not the first time I've made such proclamations, actions speak louder than words, yadidada, but I swear I felt genuine self-disgust and exasperation when I made the discovery. It's not so much the waste of money or adding unnecessary products to my already overflowing stash, it's the sense of being unable to resist my compulsion towards acquiring lip products. I do have another review of my mini collection of Australis Velourlips Matte Lip Creams scheduled, but after that, I'm sincerely hoping to not blog about a lip product purchase for the foreseeable future.




Onto the actual lip crayons. In short, I would recommend them if you're on a budget and looking for something very comparable to the NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencils. I bought them for $6 each on sale (40% off), but the normal price of $9.95 is affordable. They each contain 2.49g of product, about the same as NARS (2.44g). They're very richly pigmented, but can be applied according to your desired pigmentation. I find they're much more "wearable" and fresh-looking when a small amount of product is dabbed on with the fingers, rather than drawing directly onto the lips with the crayon. They all look slightly frightening when I filled the lips in completely with the pencil. I find them neither drying nor hydrating (probably more on the slightly drying side). None of them seemed to leave any significant stain, in that I was able to wipe them completely off with some lip balm and a tissue without noticing my lips changing in colour.

Maybelline Intense Velvet Lip Pencil in In With Coral (420)

In With Coral is probably my favourite of the bunch. This one is hella neon when worn to full opacity. I definitely prefer it sheered out for a bright, but still transparent, pout. It's a typical "spring" shade that freshens up the complexion and adds a youthful pop of colour.


l-r: Maybelline In With Coral, Revlon Unapologetic, Maybelline Coral Crush, Maybelline Shocking Coral, Revlon Melonade

Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balm in Unapologetic is a near dupe. It's so similar that you really don't need both. Unapologetic is darker, brighter and more pigmented, whereas In With Coral is comparatively more pastel. Maybelline Color Sensational Lipcolor in Coral Crush is more red. Maybelline Color Sensational Vivids in Shocking Coral is more pastel pink. Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Melonade is more of a fiery orange, glossier and sheerer.

Maybelline Intense Velvet Lip Pencil in Fuchsia Desire (150)

Honestly, me and fuchsia. It's got to stop. This is still a pink lipstick, so I already failed my previous tentative ban on pink lipsticks. I keep thinking there will be something slightly different with the next fuchsia lipstick I buy to justify the purchase, but I keep being proven wrong. Fuchsia Desire has this slight pearl running through it (probably not captured in the photos) that I dislike intensely, but I guess it's subtle enough that it's not a major problem.


l-r: Maybelline Fuchsia Desire, NARS Yu, Revlon Smitten, Revlon Fuchsia

See what I mean by the same fuchsia lipstick over and over again? Only Revlon ColorBurst Lipstick in Fuchsia is slightly different to the rest, in that it's brighter and more pink. Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Smitten is harder to build up in pigmentation and relatively patchy in comparison. It's darker, not as pink as Fuchsia Desire. NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Yu however, is the same bleeping colour. DUPE. If we're being super nitpicky, it has a glossier finish, is slightly sheerer, maybe infinitesimally lighter and more neon. It is definitely smoother to apply and unlike Fuchsia Desire, leaves a stain.


So this is Fuchsia Desire on my top lip only...

l-r: Maybelline Intense Velvet Lip Pencil in Fuchsia Desire, NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Yu

Just kidding. It's Fuchsia Desire on the left and Yu on the right. You can kind of tell one is more matte than the other (obvs, since Yu is a Satin Lip Pencil) and Fuchsia Desire is maybe fractionally darker/more opaque in pigmentation if we're scrutinising, but really, ain't no one looking that close. From a normal distance away, they are basically the same colour.

Which only means one thing. MASSIVE FAIL. (For me, given I have Yu already.) Otherwise, really good if you like the look of Yu but can't bring yourself to fork out the cash for it.

Maybelline Intense Velvet Lip Pencil in Berry Much (310)

Moving onto to the plummy brown Berry Much. I was tossing up between Berry Much and Pink So Chic, which I remember swatching and liking. Pink So Chic was surprisingly more of a deeper berry pink than its name suggested, so I wasn't sure which of the two I'd wear more. In the end, I had to go for Berry Much because of Lisa Eldridge. Plus, I rationalised I could always sheer out a darker colour, but a lighter shade wasn't going to get any deeper simply by applying more of it. Berry Much ended up a lot darker than anticipated. Seriously, I don't imagine I'd ever wear it with my lips coloured in completely with it. It's much better dabbed on with the fingers for an autumnal berry stain.


l-r: Maybelline Berry Much, Revlon Black Cherry, Revlon Red Velvet, Australis Foxtrot, Savvy by DB Bali

See how similar Berry Much is to Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Black Cherry? Granted, Black Cherry is still darker and blacker, but the two would be close if you didn't wear Black Cherry at its most opaque. For those that have Black Cherry, you know it's darrrrk, so that should give you a better idea of how surprisingly vampy Berry Much is. Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in Red Velvet is more brick red, sheerer and glossier. Australis Colour Inject Mineral Lipstick in Foxtrot is lighter, more mauve and brown. Savvy by DB Long Lasting Matte Lipstick in Bali is a similar darkness, but brighter, more red.

l-r (top row, then bottom row): In With Coral, Fuchsia Desire, Berry Much

In summation, In With Coral = Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balm in Unapologetic, Fuchsia Desire = NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Yu and Berry Much = (a sheerer) Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Black Cherry. And that is why I need to take a long break from lip products.

37 comments:

  1. Lovely blog post. I have Fuchsia and i really want to pick up a few more as i love my one so so much.
    Becca xx
    www.lovefashionandmakeup14.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like your fuchsia one! I'm sure there's a colour (or two) for you from this range you'll enjoy just as much :)

      Delete
  2. This was so informative and I'm addicted to finding lip products I like right now so I have so many lip posts planned too. I really love In With Coral as I don't have a shade like it.

    Jackie | fashionxfairytale | bloglovin' |

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lip products can definitely be addictive - I feel ya! ;)

      Delete
  3. I've got one of these in Light It Up and I really love it :)

    Kate xo // www.beautybabbles.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tempted by one of the reds as well, but rationalised I never wear reds :p

      Delete
  4. Ack, damn that you had basically dupes already! I don't really swatch similar shades in my collection which is probably both a good and bad thing haha! In With Coral looks amazingly neon. Sorta similar to MAC Viva Glam Nicki?

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just swatched the two of them side by side out of curiosity :p Viva Glam Nicki is lighter, much more pink compared with In With Coral which is redder and more orange.

      Delete
  5. For makeup enthusiasts like us, it is hard not to have a dupe or two. The finish and the wear makes quite a big difference, so I wouldn't say they are all dupes, which I think is something to consider if you're struck by a mood of purging. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks for the words of semi-comfort :) I think all that would encourage me to do is get rid of the inferior versions of the same or similar colour in terms of texture/finish etc. But you're right, it's hard not to have a dupe (or four) for junkies like us!

      Delete
  6. Berry Much is stunning! I don't remember which Lisa video it showed up in but it's such a gorgeous colour. I think it's worth having if you can't be bothered to blot down Black Cherry. As much as we're aware of the fact that lipsticks can be customized to do certain things, at the end of the day, what we wear most are the easy-to-apply products.

    The other thing is not so much knowing what's in the stash as being able to resist deals. That's what I struggle with now after having done a thorough look at my lipsticks. I'm fine until someone posts a coupon or code and then I'm browsing again. Don't beat yourself up too much. We don't have these lip pencils here so it was a fun post to read at least. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I never thought of that. It was that stupid 40% off sale that got me! I was holding out just fine when they were originally released until they were $6 each. Plus the previous lipsticks I bought were from a BOGOF sale...

      Lisa wore it in her "Plum Chic" tutorial: http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/26551/plum-chic-a-wearable-fallautumn-look/ I really liked the bronze eyeliner she used here. It looked so pretty with the plummy tones.

      Delete
  7. Seriously, you are a master os swatching and finding dupes!
    Saddly, I believe that these Maybeline gems weren't released here :/ What a shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, that sucks! I'm sure you have variations from other available drugstore brands though, like KIKO perhaps :) And thank you Diana!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the comparison swatches! It's so similar to Yu! I don't think these will be releasing in my country though, I might have to get it off eBay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, hope they're helpful :) They're quite affordable so I hope you get a good deal from eBay if you do decide to buy them from there.

      Delete
  9. Nice dupes! you have to try the shade keep it classy!! it's been my favourite lip product since I got it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, oddly I don't remember seeing that shade available in Australia! Or maybe I just overlooked it. I just looked it up and it seems like quite a medium to dark rosy shade.

      Delete
  10. Aww, your self-flagellation makes me sad, though I know the feeling of powerlessness against the desire for MORE LIPSTICK. As Liz says, maybe the real problem is the appeal of sales and coupons. Resolving not to buy anything you didn't want before it went on sale might help.

    For what it's worth, Berry Much looks quite different from Black Cherry to me, and it's also more evenly pigmented (I almost never wear Black Cherry because it's so patchy). I think it looks great at full strength! It's rare to find a dark lipstick that looks so even on the lips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, beauty addict problems! I'm quite prone to a bout of self-flagellation in general, so I guess the beauty obsessive in me fires that tendency up as well :p

      I think that's a good suggestion to only buy things that I wanted before they go on sale, rather than falling prey to a discount. At the end of the day, I'm only saving a matter of a few dollars really, so clearly logic falls by the wayside when it comes to sales, haha.

      Black Cherry is quite patchy but for me I'm able to kind of make it work. It just takes a bit of patience and time. But I guess Berry Much is a more workable version. So all isn't lost, hey? :)

      Delete
  11. OMG Berry Much is stunning!! It is so intense and rich..
    I also need to take a long long break from lip products.. I have been buying so many of them lately that I barely use any of them :/

    I've been eyeing these lip pencils from Maybelline though, they are such a hit here in Germany and constantly sold out..I might need to give Berry Much a try...( Did I just tell you I need a break from lip product? Well... :P )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha this comment is too funny! We've all been there :') I think that's a major problem too - it wouldn't be so much an issue if I actually used all my lip products (or most of them) on a regular basis, but really, I don't even touch a large percentage of them. I don't even wear lip products that much except for lip swatches for the blog, lol.

      Delete
  12. At least you buying similar products has created a great dupes post!
    I find all my nude shades are exactly the same. I only buy shade that are vibrant and different now.

    You could always just BACK2MAC and save your pennies but still have a lipstick splurge.

    Kathryn /Cherries in the Snow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I wish I had enough MAC lippies to do that! I treasure my MAC lipsticks way too much anyway and don't use them as much as I should.

      I can see how nudes would look very similar on the lips. I'm definitely aiming to only buy lipstick colours I don't have in the future!

      Delete
  13. I did the same thing with some nail polishes the other day - bought three shades and realised when I got home that I had almost spot on dupes for all of them! Definitely annoying that the same thing has happened with these, I also have Yu and Fuchsia Desire so thank you for the tip off!

    Ash / http://www.thebeautycollection.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh that's too annoying! Yeah, I really should do the same for my nail polishes. I probably have quite a few dupes or near dupes, especially since I gravitate toward the same colours time an time again!

      Delete
  14. Love these swatches! Apparently Fab Orange is a dupe for MAC's Lady Danger and Nude Perfection is a dupe for MAC's Velvet Teddy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too sure about that but it's plausible. I heard Fab Orange was supposed to be a NARS Red Square dupe but I wasn't convinced when I tried it. It might be more similar to MAC Lady Danger :)

      Delete
  15. Oh damn, Berry Much is so rich and gorgeous and not too dark! Love love the finishes of these, we don't have any of these in singapore! Your comparisons are always so in depth! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahaha at least you have your blog and your readers to keep you to your word!!
    I LOVE BERRY MUCH ON YOU THOUGH! You should wear these shades more!!!
    While I do love lip products, I am a sucker for palettes, my boyfriend was making fun of me the other night that I have too many palettes and that I rarely switch up my make up so I'm making more of an effort to now. I think I might do a new series of posts focusing on different make up products every week or something.

    Chloé⎪ status.chlo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Berry Much is gorgeous, as is Fuchsia Desire (but it's not something I'd wear a lot). I'm so glad that they're considered a dupe for the NARS lip pencils!

    Tweezers and Tongs

    ReplyDelete
  18. Every colour looks so amazing on you, I'm still in my 'I can only wear sheer colours/nudes because otherwise I look 536374843 years older than I actually am' phase. And I think it's okay having the same colours in your collection already because sometimes there's no better pick-me-up than a new lip product! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I’m exactly the same I have no self restraint when it comes to lip products :( I do love the Maybelline Color Dramas however, In with Coral is one of my favourites and looks gorgeous on you :)

    Charlee XO | CharmedCharlee

    ReplyDelete
  20. Different/new formulas with lip products are what get me to buy the same colors over and over. I love the comparisons, and the swatches!
    RachelShuchatMakeup

    ReplyDelete
  21. I completely understand your ban on lip product purchasing. Considering how long it takes to use up a lip product (and it gets harder the more you have), you'd think we'd try and put a hold on buying more and more. But when you just want to pick up a little something, there's nothing quite like a new lipstick. I wish you luck with your limit!

    xx Julia
    missjulziez.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, that's brave of you. I tried to implement a "one in, one out" system for my beauty stash at the beginning of the year but I have been failing miserably. I wish you the best of luck!

    Abby
    peaceloveandeyeliner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Honestly, at this point, I will just tell you that you should embrace your lippie addict lol. We're all make up junkies and it's difficult to not accumulate similar colours or products. We are all guilty of it. so don't be too hard on yourself ;) These Maybelline lippies look really nice though, I think my pick would be In with Coral which is usually my go-to type of colour. Not a surprise haha.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...