Saturday, February 15, 2014

Primed for Success

Eye primers and nude cream bases play a vital role in helping powder eyeshadows appear more vibrant and last longer. An underwhelming eyeshadow can be rescued by a good primer and can transform a lacklustre shade into a better version of itself. Of course, an already impressively pigmented and long-wearing eyeshadow might not need any extra help. The preliminary step of applying a primer or base can also be effective insurance against oily lids and eyeshadow creasing, though those two issues aren't major problems for my dryish monolids. Here are the five I reach for most often.




l-r: Maybelline Color Tattoo in Barely Branded, Urban Decay Primer Potion, NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base, LORAC Behind the Scenes Eye Primer, Becca Eye Tint in Vicuna

Maybelline 24Hr Color Tattoo Eyeshadow in Barely Branded (70)
This light, very shimmery beigey champagne needs to be applied with caution. I make sure to pick up a very small amount with my finger and spread a thin layer to slightly moisturised lids for more slip, as it's a little dry and hard in texture at first. It's quite pigmented so applying a touch too much may overpower the actual eyeshadow, though it's nowhere near as bad as the white, frosty Too Cool (05). I find the lasting power and vibrancy of the metallic Color Tattoos to be exceptional, so Barely Branded works well to prolong wear time and amp up the shimmer factor of lustrous shades.

Urban Decay Primer Potion Eyeshadow Base
This classic eyeshadow primer is a solid all-rounder. It's a light yellowish skin colour but applies mainly transparent on the lids. It has a bit of a thicker texture but is easy to spread with good slip. It doesn't do too much for me applied to my entire lid, but proves its worth when worn just under the eyes. I find it helps eyeliner on the lower lash line to stay on and minimise bottom lash mascara from smudging during the day.

NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
My opinion hasn't changed since I featured this in my August 2013 Favourites. NARS Pro-Prime would be an excellent choice for those with oily skin as it's unparalleled when it comes to making eyeshadow adhere to the lids. It's almost like it dries up the eyeshadow so it sticks to the skin and doesn't have a chance of smearing off. In a way, because it's so budge-resistant, it's harder to work with in terms of softly and evenly blending out the edges of eyeshadow or correcting eyeliner mishaps. Like the Urban Decay Primer Potion which it shares a very similar texture with (though Pro-Prime is a touch drier/thicker and not as smooth to apply), its strength is reserved for the lower lash line area.

LORAC Behind the Scenes Eye Primer
I received a 5.5g sample from my LORAC Pro Palette and was curious to see how it stacked up against eye primers from Urban Decay and NARS (included with the original Naked palette and And God Created the Woman Eye Palette respectively). I was initially surprised to find the LORAC to be much smoother, thinner and more emollient in consistency, making it infinitely easier to blend out. It's completely transparent and doesn't leave any kind of coating or texture on the skin, dissolving into nothingness on the lid. It ticks the boxes in terms of giving added depth and life to eyeshadows, but I don't think it's as strong in terms of preventing movement and encouraging eyeshadow adhesion as NARS or Urban Decay.

Becca Eye Tint in Vicuna
Every now and then I slap some Vicuna on as an eyeshadow base, primarily in an attempt to use up this unloved magazine freebie since it's basically undetectable on my lids as a cream eyeshadow. It's even thinner and smoother in consistency than the LORAC, so I have to use an absolute minuscule amount, spread thinly across the lid with my finger. It takes some time to fully set, which can be an advantage as it gives eyeshadow a slightly wet surface to stick to. Vicuna gives an extremely subtle peachy shimmer and sheen to any eyeshadow placed over it, like a low-key version of Maybelline Barely Branded. It's not meant to be a proper eyeshadow primer, so there aren't any miracles in terms of combating fading and increasing longevity. It's probably more convincing as an understated liquid highlighter for the top of the cheekbones.

29 comments:

  1. I've only ever really tried UDPP as an eye primer. My tube has last me soooo long and works very well for my oily lids so I'm not sure if I'll switch to something else after. I did try the Maybelline Colour Tattoos as primers but they creased horribly so that's out :( The NARS seems to be a favourite for oily eyelids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to read about so many eye priming options! :) x

    Jasmine Catches Butterflies ʚϊɞ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never bothered with an eye shadow primer before, but my shadow does crease occasionally so I've been thinking about investing in one. My sister loves the Urban Decay primer potion so think I'm going to give that one a go!

    www.madeleineslittleblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks! I recently just got the Urban Decay Naked 3 which came with some primers that I am now excited to try, also I brought a cheap one from Tesco which I have heard is good!
    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently bought the Urban Decay primer, haven't tried it yet, so thanks for the information, I'll remember to use it under the eyes :)
    I have the 24 hr color tattoo, in another shade, 25 Bad to Bronze and I love it! I like using it specially on lazy days, so I would just put it on by itself and it changes my whole look.
    I will definitely be checking the other 4 products you mention (specially NARS primer, since I have very oily skin).
    Have an amazing day!
    http://sheseeksvictoria.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I've never actually used an eyelid primer but I've always known I really should, so thanks for the little guide. The Colour Tattoo's sound amazing too!

    Catherine, xo // Lady Liquor Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have really oily skin so will have to pick up the nars one when I get a chance, the white shade should also help shadow stand out more, thanks for sharing x

    EmmiHearts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sadly the Primer Potion from Urban Decay doesn't work that well with me...after 2 hours the eyeshadows are completely melted,,,I currently have the Shadow Insurance from Too Faced ( not my favourite either, melts just like PP...) but I'm thinking about trying out other things. I really want the one from NARS, but I'll leave that purchase for my Birthday or something. I'm thinking about testing out the "put a lead on it" from The Balm and one from Innisfree ( acording to the reviews I saw, they say that it's a lovely dupe to the NARS one).
    Anyway, thank you very much for the lovely post :3 Take care, have a nice day!*

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's Nars all the way for me, I used to use the Urban Decay one for years but then it just stopped working one day, so I switched to the Nars one and have never looked back!
    xxx Claire
    http://wwwclairabelle.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Nars primer, it's without a doubt the best primer I've used. I've run out of my mini though. Great post!

    Love Beth | BethBlogsBeauty
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great stuff I have been wanting to try nars primer, I'm thinking of getting it once I'm close to finished my other primers :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been using UD primer potion since they switched over to the new packaging. The genie tube felt uneventful to me, haha. I want to try the lorac pro one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My fave eye primer so far is the one from essence. It has thick consistency like concealer but it helps eye shadow stays longer on the lids and provides a flawless canvas for the eye make up..
    I have tried the UDPP as well, I liked it but I was not sure if it's really worth the money.. The NARS one sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That shade in the Maybelline Color Tattoo looks really gorgeous, though I know what you mean about the dry texture... I find them a little tricky to blend sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have tried most of the primers you mentioned and my favorite is still the UD's primer potion. Really like how creamy it is and helps with my shadows to stay put.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice post! The primer I usually reach for is by Essence or the $1 by ELF xD Still have yet to dapple into high-end primers!

    Sheri
    Behind The Frames


    ReplyDelete
  17. UD is by far my favorite! I get them from Nordstorm Rack which are usually $8-9!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been meaning to try the NARS option here. I'm currently using the Urban Decay Primer Potion and it's okay, but I think there's something better.
    xx
    Celina | The Celution | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
  19. Am I a freak for being happy that I use 4 out of 5 of these primers too? I mostly use UDPP and my Milani Shadow Eyez pencils. They're basically like a creamier MAC paint pot texture. I think you would like them! I also use Maybelline CT's, but sometimes they can dry out my lids :')

    ReplyDelete
  20. I use the same becca and maybelline primer on a regular basis and I love how they add an extra something to my eyeshadow, barely branded just looks so beautiful on the skin too! Definintely need to try out the NARS primer with all the hype around it

    lisaalways.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brilliant blog, great posts and beautiful proprietress! What to want more ...
    I'd love to follow you (bloglovin + GFC) and welcome to visit my
    blog about fashion .



    Regards,
    Katherine Unique


    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the NARS Pro Prime, and I used to use the UD primer an awful lot! I have quite oily lids so I find them perfect =) cream shadows never stay put on me as a base! xx

    Sarah Squares - Bookworm and Beauty Enthusiast

    ReplyDelete
  23. I went through most of a tube of Vicuna and I agree with you about it. I did actually end up using it as a cheekbone highlighter at the end of its days!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am also using the Lorac Behind the Scenes eye primer that came with my lorac pro. I do like that it has a thin consistency and works well since I don't have oily lids. But in terms of really making the eyeshadow stand out, it doesn't work as much as my Essence I Love Stage Eye Primer or Elf eye primer.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have had horrible experiences with Barely Branded. It's so dry and just looks terrible on my eyelid. I honestly think I got a dud because I have never seen a negative review about it. I'm not a fan of UDPP either, at least with the tube. I don't know for sure, but I think there was a change in formula because the one I received with my Naked palette actually works for me, but when I use the one in the squeezable tube it just doesn't work out. It makes my shadow crusty. Ick! I adore the Lorac Behind the Scenes primer! I think it's incredible. I want to try the NARS one, a paint pot from MAC (not sure what shade, I think Bare Study would work best for my skin tone) and the Wet N Wild Fergie one. Just haven't gotten around to it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I still have to try NARS Pro Prime (last person on earth to do so?). I wanted to really love the LORAC but it was super slippery on me and I need something drier with more stubborn lasting power. The Maybellines seem good for that purpose but they slide around like mad on me as well, which is the opposite of what most people say. Also on the list to try are the MUFE and a new Smashbox 24 Hour primer.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have yet to use up all the primers I have before I venture into picking up a NARS Pro Prime. I always hear so much good about it but can never justify myself to accumulate one more good primer in my collection when I don't even wear eyeshadow that often haha. Before I read through your whole part on the Becca Eye Tint I was confused cause I remembered how bad a product it is but at least it still works as a base for your eyeshadows so you can use it up and doesn't just sit in your stash :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I swear by the Urban Decay 'Primer Potion', I have to admit, although I never realised quite how instrumental it was in keeping my eyeshadow & eyeliner in place until I tried forgoing it, and now I don't dare try to keep my winged eyeliner on without it. I haven't tried it much under the eyes, though, so thank you for the tip! xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. The NARS pro prime is my next primer I want to try, I just promised myself I would use up the current ones in my collection before I purchased it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...